Are you about to build your dream home? Before you sign a contract, it’s important to have all the necessary information and ask your builder any questions you may have. In this article, we’ll discuss the types of questions you should ask to ensure your builder can deliver what they promise.
We’ll also cover some key topics that will help protect your investment so you can feel confident in making an informed decision.
Important Questions to Ask Your Builder
It’s vital to understand the project’s expectations, responsibilities, and timelines. Ask your builder for a detailed breakdown of what will be included in the contract, as well as who is responsible for each part. Make sure that you understand any deadlines or milestones that must be met throughout the process.
- Check references: Speak to past clients who have worked with your builder to get an idea of their experience and professionalism. Ask about any issues they had and how they were handled by the contractor. This can give you an indication of how well your builder communicates and deals with problems that may arise during construction. Additionally, ask for sub-contractor references to see if the builder uses the same sub-contractors for all of their projects and how long their working relationships are with each vendor. Using the same vendors for an extended period can show that they have a good working relationship, pay their vendors on time, and can ensure quality and warranty repairs.
- Inspect materials: Verify that all materials specified in the contract are appropriate for your home’s design and structure, as well as for your climate and environment. If you have specific requirements, make sure the builder can meet them. Ask if the builder is experiencing material delays and/or price increases and how they handle that. For example, do they implement a “price escalation clause” and pass the expenses on to the client?
- Ensured and bonded: Verify that they have the necessary licenses or permits required for your area. Ask for proof of insurance to ensure that you are protected in case of accidents or damage during construction.
- Discuss payment terms: Ask about the payment schedule and what type of payment methods are available (e.g., credit cards, checks, etc.). Do they ever add a price escalation clause? (Arnold Roberts Signature Homes has not applied a price increase in two years). Also, determine if there are any financing options available through the builder or other sources. Ensure all these details are included in the contract before signing it.
- Warranties and guarantees: Understand what kind of warranties are available for the materials and labor used in the construction. It’s also important to know how long the warranty lasts and what is covered by it.
- Timeframe accountability: Start by asking how long it will take to receive a quote. Then follow up with questions regarding the overall time needed for the project. Arnold Roberts Signature Homes is experiencing 10-12 month build time frames! (Others in the area are over 24 months).
- Projects managed: Ask how many projects a supervisor oversees at one time. Conduct research and see if communication has ever been an issue with the company. Spreading supervisors too thin could be an issue in the long run. Arnold Roberts Signature Homes keeps the workload manageable for the entire team, including the office staff and project managers. We do not take on more than we can handle- this ensures quality, attention to detail, and shorter build times
- Home size: Do the home builders typically build larger or smaller homes? Depending on what you’re looking for, this can impact features such as design style and timeframe accuracy.
- Bread and butter: Hiring a company with a clear vision is essential. When you ask them what they’re known for, or what they do best, the builder/contractor should be able to answer concisely and confidently.
Finally, discuss any concerns you may have to ensure all your expectations are met before signing a contract. A good builder should answer all your questions in detail and provide assurances that they will do their best to deliver on their promises.
Read More: A Complete Guide to Hiring a Home Builder
Be Comfortable with Your Final Decision
Ultimately, selecting a builder is your decision. You might be considering multiple prospective builders with nearly identical qualifications. So, it’s important to carefully comb through your options. Don’t be afraid to seek the opinion of someone who has been through the home-building process in the past.
It’s also essential to be confident in your selection. Show the builder you trust their expertise and develop a quality rapport with the company and the individuals you’re working with.
Reach Out to Our Team!
Our home-building team has the experience, knowledge and skill to create your custom dream home. We take great pride in building beautiful homes with quality materials and our work is backed by our industry-leading warranty.
Whether you would like to kick-start the home-building process, or you simply have questions about our business, don’t hesitate to contact us to get the conversation started.